Re: tarballs of patchsets?

From: Andy Isaacson
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 11:03:45 EST

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:55:52AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Christian <evil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > i am trying to chase some bug and i know, it must be somewhere
> > between 2.6.4 and 2.6.5.
>
> The most practical way of doing this would be to download bitkeeper and do
> a binary search.
>
> 1: Do `bk changes > foo'.
[snip]
> 2: Do
> bl clone -ql -r1.1734 ref-repo test-repo
[snip]
> 3: cd test-repo ; bk -r get
> 4: build, test, choose new revision, goto step 1.

FWIW, we're batting around the idea of automating this -- it would be
cool (and quite trivial) to have a "bk-findbug.sh" script that takes
- a repo
- "I know the bug wasn't present in 1.1562"
- "the bug is present in 1.1699"
- a shell fragment that exits 1 if the bug exists, 0 if the bug is squashed

and tells you which cset causes the bug to appear.

But, applying this to the kernel is more problematic; you have to
reboot, or run under vmware/UML/Xen/whatever.

-andy