Re: [RFD] Explicitly documenting patch submission

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 15:47:46 EST

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> IANAL, but I don't think they have to ask. As with GPL, you not required
> to sign anything to be able to use the software. By using the software you
> agree on the license. By submitting a patch to a maintainer, you agree
> with the Developer's Certificate of Origin.

No, the thing is, we want your name to show up, and we do want you to
explicitly state that not only do you know about the license, you also
have the right to release your code under the license.

Yes, that was all implied before. This is nothing new. The only new thing
is to _document_ it, and make it _explicit_.

And that means that submitters should read the DCO, and add the extra
line. That's kind of the whole point of it - making a very ingrained and
implicit assumption be explicitly documented.

In other words: this is not about changing the way we work. It's about
documenting the things we take for granted. So that outsiders can be shown
how it works.

Linus