Re: 2.6.6-mm5

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 12:47:20 EST

Eric> If no hardware actually cared or someone could show me that
Eric> you can't generate a 64bit memory I/O cycle on the PCI bus
Eric> that would be interesting. I have seen several drivers that
Eric> care. Later today I intend to look at my pci docs and
Eric> confirm that 64bit I/O cycles do exist on the bus, even in
Eric> 32bit slots. PCI bus traffic is packet based so I would be
Eric> strongly surprised if 64bit cycles did not exist.

Hang on -- how could you generate a 64-bit cycle on a 32-bit PCI bus?
By definition a 32-bit PCI bus can only transfer 32 bits per cycle.

PCI Express traffic is packet based but parallel PCI definitely is not.

- Roland