Re: 2.6: future of UMSDOS?

From: Mark Beyer - Contractor
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 12:22:47 EST

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

On Wed, 2004-05-19 20:43:21 +0200, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <20040519184321.GB24287@xxxxxxxxx>:

Looking at the state of the UMSDOS code in 2.6 I'm currently wondering about it's future.

Are there still potential users and people willing to work on getting it
working, or should it be removed from kernel 2.6?

In my early Linux days, UMSDOS was quite a neat thing to have for
showing Linux to friends by placing a .zip'ed Linux installation on
their MS-DOS machines.

So for historic reasons, I think it would be nice to have UMSDOS around.

There are still embedded systems that boot from a DOS file system. Yes, there are better methods but for backward compatibility I wouldn't like to see it removed.