Re: i486 emu in mainline?

From: P
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 04:16:19 EST

Willy Tarreau wrote:
On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 06:51:30AM -0400, Joseph Fannin wrote:

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 10:29:12AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 01:40:59AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

These days gcc uses i486+ only instruction by default in libstdc++ so
most modern distros wouldn't work on i386 cpus anymore. To make it work
again Debian merged Willy Tarreau's patch to trap those and emulate them
on real i386 cpus. The patch is extremely non-invasive and would
certainly be usefull for mainline. Any reason not to include it?

- I couldn't emulate locks, so this will break on SMP systems, and so
will it if you need to access some memory share with an external
microcontroller or something like that.

Does this mean that programs that use the NPTL will work on
non-SMP 386s?

I have no idea. Why would NPTL not work on i386 ?

i386 doesn't have the necessary instructions.
It's my understanding that the following is not being maintained:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-hacker/2004-05/msg00019.html

Pádraig.