Re: 4g/4g for 2.6.6

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 15:53:03 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Phy Prabab wrote:

I have been researching the 4g patches for kernels. Seems there was a rift between people over this. Is
there any plan to resume publishing 4g patches for
developing kernels?

Quite frankly, a number of us are hoping that we can make them
unnecessary. The cost of the 4g/4g split is absolutely _huge_ on some
things, including basic stuff like kernel compiles.

Sorta like I'm hoping that cheap and prevalent 64-bit CPUs make PAE36 and PAE40 on ia32 largely unnecessary. Addressing more memory than 32 bits of memory on a 32-bit CPU always seemed like a hack to me, and a source of bugs and lost performance...

Jeff