consistent ioctl for getting all net interfaces?

From: Joshua Kwan
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 23:29:37 EST

Hi,

I'm interested in not having to parse /proc/net/dev to get a list of all
available (not necessarily even up) interfaces on the system. I
investigated the ioctl SIOCGIFCONF, but it seems to behave differently on
2.4 and 2.6 series kernels, e.g. sometimes it won't return all interfaces.

Is there some end-all ioctl that does what I want, or am I forever doomed
to process /proc/net/dev (in C, no less..)?

Please CC me on replies, I don't read this list very often any more.

Thanks,

--
Joshua Kwan