Re: 2.6.6-mm5

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 20:16:58 EST

Andrew> I don't think we can expect all architectures to be able
Andrew> to implement atomic 64-bit IO's, can we?

Andrew> ergo, drivers which want to use readq and writeq should
Andrew> provide the appropriate locking.

Perhaps we should have ARCH_HAS_ATOMIC_WRITEQ or something so that
drivers don't add the overhead of locking on architectures where it's
not necessary?

(I happen to be working on a driver that needs atomic 64-bit writes,
and where those writes happen to be in the fast path)

Thanks,
Roland