Re: protecting source code in 2.6

From: Vincent C Jones
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 11:55:02 EST

In article <1YsIy-15G-15@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard B. Johnson wrote:

[ rant on proprietary kernel software removed ]

>There are very few persons who will allow you to insert secret
>code into their kernels where it could destroy everything of
>value to them.

If only this were true... but there are how many million Windows users?

Oh, and if they're too stupid to count, there are also large numbers of
HP-UX, AIX, Solaris and other proprietary UNIX variants out there, not
to mention IBM mainframe and AS/400 shops...

Oh, and if you only mean Linux users, we'll ignore all the ATI Radeon
and Nvidea sufferers, and vmware users, and winmodem users, and every
driver for a device which loads firmware, and every PC which does not
release source code for the BIOS, and . . .

Arguments tend to loose a lot of their impact when based on religion
rather than realism.
--
Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE Expert advice and a helping hand
Computer Network Consultant for those who want to manage and