Re: protecting source code in 2.6

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 18:06:03 EST

Jinu M. wrote:
Hi All,

We are developing a block device driver on linux-2.6.x kernel. We want
to distribute our driver as sum of source code and librabry/object code.

We have divided the source code into two parts. The os interface module and the device interface module. The os interface module (osint.c) has all the os interface functions (init, exit, open, close, ioctl, request
queue handling etc). The device interface module (devint.c) on the other
hand has all the device interface functions (initialize device, read, write etc), these don't use system calls or kernel APIs.

The device interface module is proprietary source and we don't intend
to distribute it with source code on GPL license.

Thye approved way to do this is to write your own proprietary operating system to go with your proprietary driver, then you won't have to pretend to be open source.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)