x86_64 and ioctls from 32 bit userland

From: Stephen Cameron
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 17:49:43 EST

Hi, a question about x86_64 and ioctls coming in from 32-bit
userland.

I found this document describing 32-bit ioctls on 64 bit archs,
http://shorterlink.com/?47B2OV
but, it is from July of 2002, so I'm not sure it's up to date.
Should I look somewhere else?

Also, if my userland process passes in an ioctl data structure
and that data structure in turn contains ontains a 32 bit pointer
to another data buffer within that process' address space
the kernel needs to copy in/oot, how can that be handled?
Can it be handled?

Thanks,

-- steve