[announce] Squashfs2.0-alpha released (compressed filesystem)

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 08:30:02 EST

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce the first version of Squashfs 2.0. A lot of
changes to the Squashfs filesystem have been made under the bonnet
(hood), to improve compression. Squashfs 2.0 has added the concept of
fragment blocks and has increased the block size to 64K. This achieves
a 5 - 20% compression saving, and allows Squashfs to achieve better
compression than Cloop while retaining the I/O efficiency of a
compressed filesystem. In addition, the maximum number of UIDs and
GIDs has been increased to 256. This allows Squashfs to better support
live CDs.

For a description of fragment blocks and the other changes, please go
to the project page http://squashfs.sourceforge.net.

Regards

Phil Lougher