Re: Performance Tuning

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 11:46:35 EST

On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:05:15 -0000, john weber <weber@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Kernel compiles take 6m38s on my P4 2.8GHz (with HT enabled) and
> 512 MB RAM as compared to 20-30 seconds reported by folks online.
> I am running kernel 2.6.6.
>
> While I understand that this varies with the config, I also don't
> see why it should vary so much. Does anyone have any pointers on
> how I could best troubleshoot my performance?

Step 1: Buy a machine that has 16 CPUs and 32G of memory.

Step 2: cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.6 && make -j20

Step 3: Stand back :)

Seriously - the only way to do a kernel build in 20 seconds is to use 'make
-j20' or so, and have enough processors to handle it, and enough RAM so that
you can basically do the whole thing in the fin-core cache rather than beating
on the disk....