2.6 kernel header licensing.

From: Rob Landley
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 00:58:29 EST

I'm using Mariusz Mazur's kernel headers package to compile my C library
against, and I asked him what the license on his package was. He said it's
derived from the 2.6 kernel, so the license is whatever's on the 2.6 kernel.

That's the GPL.

This means that even though these are cleaned up kernel headers with kernel
internal stuff stripped out, and designed to compile a userspace C library
against, there's a license conflict if I use the resulting C library to
compile anything but GPL software. Technically, if I use them to compile BSD
software with the advertising clause, I can't distribute the result. The
three P's (Perl, Python, and PHP) are right out.

Now I'm fairly certain this was not the intent. And I could probably make a
case in court that the intent of header files is to provide an external API
to compile against, so the userspace portions of the kernel headers are
pretty much by definition an external interface boundary that the GPL's terms
won't cross. (They define the boundary; that's what they're for.)

But I'd really rather just get this resolved politely now.

Would anybody on linux-kernel like to venture an opinion about whether the
license on Mariusz's Mazur's kernel headers package could be changed to LGPL
instead of GPL? (Since that's what the LGPL is, in point of fact, for. And
for years the glibc people have been grabbing kernel headers and blithely
using them to create an LGPL product with nobody complaining, and in fact
before uclibc you couldn't have a functional linux kernel sysem without it,
so there's a de facto license of some sort anyway that it would be nice to
make explicit.)

The kernel headers in question can be found here:

http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/

Linus? Anybody?

--
www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas. (I'm the con chair.)