Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: FB accel capabilities patch

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 18:39:58 EST

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 20:03, Andrew Morton wrote:
> David Eger <eger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > A month or two ago I noticed that the framebuffer console driver doesn't
> > know to do proper framebuffer acceleration in Linux 2.6;
>
> For what fbdev operations will acceleration be used?

Ok, the story is ... fbdevs do have optional accel hooks for copyarea,
rectfill, and imageblit. However, the current fbcon console subsystem
doesn't properly adapt it's drawing techniques based on the accel
capabilities (blit + redraw is more efficient for example when you have
a fast accelerated copyarea, while full redraw is better in other cases,
etc...)

This patch adds "hints" provided by the fbdev to inform fbcon what are
its accel capabilities.

Ben.