Re: 1352 NUL bytes at the end of a page?

From: Steven Cole
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 09:49:55 EST

On May 19, 2004, at 8:08 AM, Chris Mason wrote:

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 09:59, Steven Cole wrote:

I went back through the archive to make sure, and since I didn't
specify where I did the timed tests, those timing tests would have
been done on my /home partition, which is reiserfs v3.

Since I was using different partitions for ext3 and reiserfs on
/dev/hda, a direct comparison between ext3 and reiserfs wouldn't
be completely fair, but a "watching the paint dry" observation
seemed to indicate that reiserfs was significantly faster for this
load. I did press my backup disk into service for this testing,
to eliminate the possibility that this was due to a finicky disk,
and I have a 3.9 G partition which I've formatted first reiserfs,
then ext3, so I could do some fair tests between reiserfs and
ext3 on that disk. But I think the results are already known;
reiserfs opens a can of whoopass for this kind of load.

While this is the kind of thing I like to hear, it wasn't really what I
was asking ;-)

There was a regression between a 2.6.3 mandrake kernel and 2.6.6, was
this regression just for reiserfs or was it for all filesystems?

If just reiserfs, it might be from the data=ordered and logging changes
that went into 2.6.6, so I'm quite interested in figuring things out.

-chris

2nd reply:

It was just reiserfs, and I'm preparing to repeat some of those timing
tests on one of my test boxes at work, a dual P-III with IDE in this
case. I can test both reiserfs v3 and ext3 and 2.6.3-4mdk (smp version)
versus other kernel versions and whatever reiserfs mount options you
want to try. I have SCSI boxes too if needed.

Steven