FB accel capabilities patch

From: David Eger
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 04:33:06 EST

Dear Andrew,

A month or two ago I noticed that the framebuffer console driver doesn't
know to do proper framebuffer acceleration in Linux 2.6; I've implemented
a solution Geert suggested where each framebuffer driver advertizes its
hardware capabilities via fb_info->flags. Please apply to -mm so I can
get wider testing.

The patches are at:

http://www.yak.net/random/fbdev-patches/accel-cap-take2/relative2mainline/

The core of these patches is enabling the use of the following flags:

+/* FBIF = FB_Info.Flags */
+#define FBIF_MODULE 0x0001 /* Low-level driver is a module */
+#define FBIF_HWACCEL_DISABLED 0x0002
+
+/* hints */
+#define FBIF_PARTIAL_PAN_OK 0x0040 /* otw use pan only for double-buffering */
+#define FBIF_READS_FAST 0x0080 /* soft-copy faster than rendering */
+
+/* hardware supported ops */
+#define FBIF_HWACCEL_NONE 0x0000
+#define FBIF_HWACCEL_COPYAREA 0x0100
+#define FBIF_HWACCEL_FILLRECT 0x0200
+#define FBIF_HWACCEL_ROTATE 0x0400
+#define FBIF_HWACCEL_IMAGEBLIT 0x0800
+#define FBIF_HWACCEL_XPAN 0x1000
+#define FBIF_HWACCEL_YPAN 0x2000
+#define FBIF_HWACCEL_YWRAP 0x4000

Patches to each individual driver will trickle in as I get to them;
Since these are only hints to the "application" of fbcon, the fact that
the hints aren't yet accurate for all drivers (default is zero/one depending
on if the fb driver is a module) is OK, and nothing should break with these
patches. Each driver also doesn't have to reimplement a noaccel flag
(to disable acceleration, mainly for testing new accel code), since it
will be already in fb_info now ;-)

-dte

---
getting bounce messages from me? let me know and you'll go on my whitelist