Re: [patch] kill off PC9800

From: Brian Gerst
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 15:24:04 EST

Matt Mackall wrote:

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 02:21:23PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PC9800 sub-arch is incomplete, hackish (at least in IDE), maintainers
> don't reply to emails and haven't touched it in awhile.
And the hardware is obsolete, isn't it? Does anyone know when they were
last manufactured, and how popular they are?
Hey, just being obsolete is no grounds for eliminating a
subarchitecture...

Well it's a question of whether we're likely to see increasing demand for
it in the future. If so then it would be prudent to put some effort into
fixing it up rather than removing it.

Seems that's not the case. I don't see a huge rush on this but if after
this discussion nobody steps up to take care of the code over the next few
weeks, it's best to remove it.

Perhaps a nicer way to do this is to add a compile warning or error:

#warning "arch/i386/mach-pc9800 unmaintained since xx/xx/xx, nominated
for removal xx/xx/xx if unclaimed"

..where the second date is, say, 3+ months after the warning goes in.
Then people can nominate stuff for removal with one liners and users
will get ample opportunity to complain.

You're missing the point that this code doesn't compile *at all*. Nobody would ever see the warning.

--
Brian Gerst