Re: Linux 2.6.6 appears to be 3 to 4 times slower than 2.6.5.

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 10:11:58 EST

Sorry to all, it turns out (in two separate cases I had two different problems that affected the results).

Case 1: No SMP turned on for CPU w/HT after fix (~4.78 seconds compile time (2.6GHZ w/HT))
Case 2: Box had 4GB of NON-ECC memory in it, only recognized 2.56GB, took out (2) 1GB DDR DIMM's, and the speed returned what it should be. (~4.3 seconds compile time (3.0GHZ w/HT))

The control box was a 2.53GHZ (533MHZ BUS w/NO HT) = ~5.3seconds

I have not tested 2.6.6 recently, but in one of my tests I believe it worked OK, ever since 2.6.6 removed my /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/mtab and several other files, I do not wish to touch that kernel with a 10 foot poll :-P due to the IDE disk flush/cache issue.