Re: ata_piix: port disabled. ignoring.

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 06:14:42 EST

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Matt Domsch wrote:
> > On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:11:00PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> >
> >>I'm trying to install Linux on a SATA disk in a Dell PowerEdge 750, which has
> >>an Intel 82875P chipset with an Intel 6300ESB SATA Storage Controller.
> >

> > [snip]
> >

> >>I looked at ata_piix.c, and apparently the driver decides whether a port is
> >>disabled by checking a bit in PCI config space, so this looks like a BIOS setup
> >>problem to me. But the BIOS has the first SATA port enabled (`AUTO', and it
> >>does see a 80 GB disk there), while the PATA and second SATA ports are marked
> >>`OFF'.
> >

> > Right. At present you need to enable the second SATA port in the
> > BIOS. Disabling it also disables the first port from being
> > recognized by the driver. It's a figment of the "compatability mode"
> > that the PE750 runs in. I believe Stuart Hayes sent Jeff a patch to
> > address this, but I can't find it handy...
>

> That _should_ have been fixed in the last update to ata_piix. If you
> could get Stuart to re-test and re-submit that patch if necessary, that
> would be useful.
>
> Geert, two things to try:
> 1) Try the latest kernel

Thanks! I'll try that one...

> 2) Fiddle with BIOS settings until your PATA and SATA devices appear as
> _separate_ devices on the PCI bus.

There's no option in the BIOS for that (at least I didn't find it), only to
disable IDE completely, which upon selection makes the Intel 6300ESB SATA
Storage Controller disappear from the lspci listing.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE)
Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1