Re: 1352 NUL bytes at the end of a page? (was Re: Assertion `s && s->tree' failed: The saga continues.)

From: R. J. Wysocki
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 03:18:08 EST

On Monday 17 of May 2004 00:11, Steven Cole wrote:
> On Sunday 16 May 2004 03:29 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Steven Cole <elenstev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Anyway, although the regression for my particular machine for this
> > > particular load may be interesting, the good news is that I've seen
> > > none of the failures which started this whole thread, which are
> > > relatively easily reproduceable with PREEMPT set.
> >
> > So... would it be correct to say that with CONFIG_PREEMPT, ppp or its
> > underlying driver stack
> >
> > a) screws up the connection and hangs and
> >
> > b) scribbles on pagecache?
> >
> > Because if so, the same will probably happen on SMP.
>
> Perhaps someone has the hardware to test this.

Well, this may be OT (I'm sorry, if so), but I ran pppd yesterday on 2.6.6-mm2
with no major problems on an SMP box (AMD64). The only problem I had with it
is that the pppd died unexpectedly 6-7 minutes after the connection had been
established, but this might happen for many reasons. My kernel had been
built without CONFIG_PREEMPT, though.