Re: Strange NFS behavior (?)

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 19:53:53 EST

På su , 16/05/2004 klokka 20:43, skreiv Kenneth Aafløy:

> Why does not the NFS code (server or client) try to either limit or increase
> the buffer size when performance is at least 10x slower than that of the
> medium it's mounted on, and no other load is present?

Which buffers? We already do automatic congestion control in the RPC
layer (and in the socket layer)...

> And why is the
> performance really so bad with higher r/wsize?

Read the fine FAQ & HOWTO... The keywords are "UDP" and "fragmentation".
http://nfs.sourceforge.net

Then go, use the "tcp" mount option and be happy...

Cheers,
Trond