root fs on usb - is patching kernel still needed?

From: Tomasz Chmielewski
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 14:16:15 EST

Hello,

I've been trying to boot Linux from an root fs which is on an usb-stick (kernel is on a bootdisk floppy).

Unfortunately, the kernel seems to try to mount the filesystem which is on an usb-stick too fast, before usb shows up for the kernel.

While reading this list I found several patches solving this problem, which wait a bit before root fs is mounted, which re-try in a loop to mount root fs etc.

Are there any solutions for this problem in stable or pre- kernel tree yet (2.4 or 2.6)? If not, will such a solution be ever included in a stable kernel?

Or maybe are there any easier solutions for this (some lilo or grub option?)

Regards,

Tomasz Chmielewski