Re: [patch] kill off PC9800

From: James Bottomley
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 12:53:59 EST

Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PC9800 sub-arch is incomplete, hackish (at least in IDE), maintainers
> don't reply to emails and haven't touched it in awhile.

And the hardware is obsolete, isn't it? Does anyone know when they were
last manufactured, and how popular they are?

Hey, just being obsolete is no grounds for eliminating a
subarchitecture...

However, I would have to say that being unmaintained is. Because of the
penchant of x86 people to go "it compiles on my PC, ship it", the x86
subarchitectures are about the fastest bitrotting pieces of the kernel
there are.

Since mach-pc9800 cannot currently be compiled and there's no evidence
that it actually was, I'd remove it unless someone steps up quickly to
maintain it (and get it to the point where it's actually compileable).

James