Re: aic79xx trouble

From: Etienne Vogt
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 12:43:44 EST

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Bernd Schubert wrote:

> Oh, I forgot the system specifications:
>
> - dual opteron on tyan S2882 board
> - vanilla linux-2.4.26
>
> > we are just in the process of setting up a new server, which will serve the
> > data of an IDE/SCSI raid system (transtec 5008). Some partions of this raid
> > device are also mirrored via drbd to a failover system. During a full
> > resync of all (3) failover partitions *from* the failover server, the
> > main-server first logs many scsi errors and later the access to the
> > raid-partitions completely locks up.
> >
> > Below is some relevant dmesg output, I already enabled the verbose option
> > for the aic79xx driver. Should I also enable debugging, if so, which mode?

The Adaptec Ultra320 cards (aic79xx) do not work reliably on Tyan Thunder
motherboards. Lots of SCSI errors and eventually complete system lockup.
I guess those motherboards have a crappy PCI bus with a lot of noise
that can't cope with the high transfer speed of these SCSI cards.
I suggest you try an Ultra160 card. We have 3 Tyan Thunder based systems
here (those are dual Athlon MP2800) that work fine with Adaptec Ultra160
cards (aic7xxx) but give lots of errors with the Ultra320 cards.

--
Etienne Vogt (Etienne.Vogt@xxxxxxxx)
Unix System Manager