ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard and 1016 BIOS

From: Colin
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 12:42:02 EST

Does anyone else have problems starting linux with the 1016 BIOS of an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard?

I tried to start Knoppix 3.4 with this BIOS and it would freeze right after the initial boot screen. I also use Debian and it freezes when booting up. I'm using version 1014 of the BIOS and it seems to work fine. I didn't try the 1015 version because 1016 came less than a month later which suggests there was something wrong with 1015.

I suspect that the BIOS changes with the USB stuff is what's causing the boot failure because they've done a lot of changes in that area between 1014 and 1016. Actually, the USB stuff works a bit better in Windows with 1016 because I can see my USB devices with it without switching the USB mode to FastSpeed (USB 1.1) in the BIOS but all USB devices appear as 1.1 devices even though some of them are 2.0 device. Linux with the 1014 version works fine with USB devices (both 1.1 and 2.0 devices).

Any ideas?