Re: Linux 2.6.6 appears to be 3 to 4 times slower than 2.6.5.

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 09:41:26 EST

On Saturday 15 May 2004 08:04, Justin Piszcz wrote:
>I have memory benchmarks and compile benchmarks,
>
>essentially
>
>compiling takes ~5 sec on a 2.53ghz (533mhz bus/2GB ram box) for
> lilgp - genetic program
>ram =ddr 333
>compiling takes ~15-20 sec on a 3ghz (not sure on bus/4gb ram box)
> for lilgp - genetic program
>ram = ddr 400
>
>dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/ramdisk/file bs=409e size=(64 or 256mb)
>it is 12% faster on the slower (2.53ghz box) vs the box w/DDR 400mhz
> ram
>
>Is anyone else having SERIOUS PROBLEMS with the 2.6.6 kernel as
> well?

I noted that my epson C82 usb printer was running about 25% of its
normal speed last night, it took gimp-print several hours to do half
a dozen 8x10's in 720dpi. gkrellm's display looks normal though,
with setiathome currently taking 90+% of the cpu, which is normal.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)