Re: 2.6.6-mm2(-mm1,-bk1): SMP bug on dual AMD64

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 18:03:56 EST

"R. J. Wysocki" <rjwysocki@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've just compiled the 2.6.6-mm2 kernel (with gcc-3.4) and tried to run it.
> Well, it generally works, but there seems to be an SMP bug that may be
> triggered with the help of a USB storage device (please see the attached
> log). The device works fine in spite of it, though.
>
> This bug seems to be present in the 2.6.6-mm1 and 2.6.6-bk1, but it is not
> present in the 2.6.6, apparently.
>
> My system is a dual Opteron and I use an add-on USB 2.0 card based on the NEC
> chipset (the .config is attached).

The WARN_ON() backtrace is unrelated to USB - it is due to SCSI calling
vmalloc/vfree with interrupts disabled. People are working on that.

As for this:

May 14 23:57:09 chimera kernel: usb usb2: string descriptor 0 read error: -108
May 14 23:57:09 chimera last message repeated 2 times

It has been reported before and I assume people are working it, but it
would be nice to have confirmation of that...