Re: arm-lh7a40x IDE support in 2.6.6

From: Russell King
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 14:54:41 EST

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 08:45:51PM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Friday 14 of May 2004 19:26, Marc Singer wrote:
> > On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 06:40:04PM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > > I was just porting my patches killing <asm/arch/ide.h> for
> > > ARM to 2.6.6 when noticed that more work is needed now. :-(
> > >
> > > arch/arm/mach-lh7a40x/ide-lpd7a40x.c
> > > include/asm-arm/arch-lh7a40x/ide.h
> > >
> > > Why it couldn't be done in drivers/ide/arm
> > > (as discussed on linux-ide)?
> >
> > Your response took look enough for me to switch to another job. I
> > haven't yet returned to dealing with this.
>
> Yes, it took too long.
>
> Anyway, pushing non-working code to mainline is a bad thing
> (I can show some proofs for this statement).

It was a necessary step. To get around this, we're going to ask people
to submit new machine support on a file by file basis, and that's just
not practical, and you can't expect me to be able to track _every_
_single_ fscking change to the kernel, and pick up every one in a
review.

There will always be a delay between changes happening between two people
and we have to live with it. Not everyone works on Linus' latest kernel.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/