Re: ata_piix: port disabled. ignoring.

From: Matt Domsch
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 10:15:51 EST

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 03:11:00PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> I'm trying to install Linux on a SATA disk in a Dell PowerEdge 750, which has
> an Intel 82875P chipset with an Intel 6300ESB SATA Storage Controller.

[snip]

> I looked at ata_piix.c, and apparently the driver decides whether a port is
> disabled by checking a bit in PCI config space, so this looks like a BIOS setup
> problem to me. But the BIOS has the first SATA port enabled (`AUTO', and it
> does see a 80 GB disk there), while the PATA and second SATA ports are marked
> `OFF'.

Right. At present you need to enable the second SATA port in the
BIOS. Disabling it also disables the first port from being
recognized by the driver. It's a figment of the "compatability mode"
that the PE750 runs in. I believe Stuart Hayes sent Jeff a patch to
address this, but I can't find it handy...

--
Matt Domsch
Sr. Software Engineer, Lead Engineer