Re: Natsemi ethernet 'cable magic' fix can cause problems

From: Tim Hockin
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 12:05:18 EST

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:35:03AM +0100, Colin Paton wrote:
> The problem was strange - about 30% packet loss was experienced during
> pings. Moving the box to a different ethernet wall outlet (but still
> using the same port on the switch) cured the problem. The problem
> therefore appeared to be cable dependant.
>
> It would appear that the call to 'do_cable_magic()' in
> drivers/net/natsemi.c causes the problem to occur.
>
> It looks as though this was added in to actually *fix* such problems...
> but in our case it made things worse.

I'm the responsible party on that one. do_cable_magic() was a direct
result of a significant amount of work with National's engineers to
root-cause some major problems we had had.

If I recall, the problem we experienced was when the cable was "short"
(where short was < 30m, I think). What can you tell me about your cabling
setup?

Willing to test? Ping me back.