Re: d_splice_alias() problem.

From: Greg Banks
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 02:22:18 EST

Neil Brown wrote:

> > Of course I now have an issue with the misleading name ;-)
>
> Maybe: DCACHE_NOT_KNOWN_TO_BE_CONNECTED.
> Unfortunately the absence of the flags is stronger information that
> it's presence and that makes it hard to name...

;-)

> > What I'm wondering is, do we still need DCACHE_DISCONNECTED at all?
> > Perhaps the uses of it could be replaced with combinations of checks
> > of IS_ROOT() and (d == d->d_sb->s_root) ?
>
> It is still needed.
> Suppose one thread creates a disconnected dentry, and then starts building
> the path from the bottom up.
> When it is half way up another request comes in for the same
> filehandle. The same dentry is found. It is now not IS_ROOT, but
> still DCACHE_DISCONNECTED. Until it is fully connected the second
> request shouldn't proceed, and without the DCACHE_DISCONNECTED flag it
> is expensive to test for connected-ness. !IS_ROOT certainly isn't
> enough.

Sure, IS_ROOT() only tells you whether a dentry is connected to its parent
and to tell if its connected to the fs root you need to traverse all the
parents. But nfsd_acceptable() already does this to do permission checks
in the (default) subtree_check case.

So it seems that what the flag gives you is that when its absent and
nosubtree_check is in effect, you know you can short-circuit the connection
walk. Fair enough.

Greg.
--
Greg Banks, R&D Software Engineer, SGI Australian Software Group.
I don't speak for SGI.