Re: [Fastboot] Re: [announce] kexec for linux 2.6.6

From: Ulrich Drepper
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 11:33:50 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> As a first draft we should be able to use the standard ELF mechanisms
> for this. It is not like PIC shared libraries were new. Or is
> there some specific problem you are thinking of with respect to
> randomization?

The official kernel does not have vdso randomization. Ingo has a patch
for the Red Hat kernel which is used in the FC2 kernel. The patch
effectively only changes the location at which the vdso is mapped. It
does not change the vdso content. So the __kernel_vsyscall symbol in
the vdso's symbol table is not changed.

AT_SYSINFO is the right way to go forward but it is not directly
accessible to userlevel code. And it is no pointer which will make
architectures with function descriptors unhappy.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â