Re: [RFC/PATCH] inotify -- a dnotify replacement

From: carbonated beverage
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 15:37:14 EST

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 03:02:31PM -0400, John McCutchan wrote:
> >From a quick glance at someone elses implementation of it, I plan on
> walking up the dentries and checking at each level if a watcher on that
> level is interested in events from subdirectories. Is this good practice in
> the kernel?

Curious, why is it being implemented in this fashion instead of broadcasting
it over a netlink socket?

That way, the user-space listeners can determine whether they want to pay
attention to it or not, and figure out for themselves most of the "do I
care about this event" issue.

As for the directory heirarchy watching, does that mean the user can do:
<process 1> <process 2>
while : ; do mkdir a ; cd a ; done
.... wait 10 seconds ....
listen to a/

What's the kernel going to do then? Hopefully, you don't mean you'll
be crawling down the entire chain each and every time...

Just random thoughts.

-- DN
Daniel