Re: new laptop woes

From: Len Brown
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 12:15:27 EST

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 12:24, jnf wrote:

> 2) ACPI support.
> ouch. this laptop being a hp pavilion ze4430us, it seems to have
> 'issues'
> with acpi [I googled around some and found others speaking of the
> problems, but it doesnt look like anyone found a fix]- what i get
> whenever
> i attempt to enable acpi in the kernel [this is true under
> 2.4.20/2.4.26/2.6.5] is that:
> 1] i have to turn off the framebuffer device [id assume this is
> because it
> gets handled after acpi]
> 2] it hangs with the message:
> 'ACPI: IRQ 9 SCI: Level Trigger'

try booting with "nolapic"

> When I googled around, as I said, I found several people with this
> problem
> and related issues, but no fixes- one interesting thing to me was that
> *all* of the related things on google i could find had that exact
> message,
> i.e. IRQ 9.
> I went to take a look at the ACPI page [acpi.sourforge...] and looking
> through their cvs tree it looks like most of it hasnt been touched in
> aprox 12 months or more?

I escaped from CVS in 1994, underwent several years of therapy, and
haven't used it since. I don't know what ACPI CVS is on SF, point me to
it and I'll be happy to delete it.

The latest ACPI is published here:

http://linux-acpi.bkbits.net/
and here:
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/patches/

though these are generally never more than 10 days newer than
the latest 2.4, 2.6, and 2.6-mm trees.

cheers,
-Len