Re: Distributions vs kernel development

From: Rene Rebe
Date: Sun May 09 2004 - 04:14:53 EST

Hi,

On: Sun, 9 May 2004 10:59:48 +0200 (CEST),
Grzegorz Kulewski <kangur@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You have binary packages in Gentoo so you can build once for many
> machines. All you need is to add one option to /etc/make.conf.

But the last time I took a look not even an installer or such. +
Gentoo has no support for custom modifications not even thinking about
a way to group such custom modifications / build configuration into a
well defined way to form a distribution. + ROCK Linux has a real
sandbox build environment, not this optimization via CFLAGS, and so on
Gentoo wannabe.

ROCK Linux is a build kit, allowing to define a set configurations /
modifications to create e.g. special embedded or server distributions
without the need to repackage all the packages and writing a build
script for those ... And when you read some ebuild scripts you find
the ROCK Linux automatics and tag based ASCI package description
format very pleasant, e.g.:

http://svn2.rocklinux-consulting.de/rock-linux/trunk/package/base/rsync/

Sincerely yours,
René Rebe