Re: vid&pid problems in usb_probe()

From: Greg KH
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 21:18:44 EST

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 10:03:54AM +0800, dongzai007@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to tell you, I have copied all the header files in
> "linux2.4.18/include/linux" to "/usr/include/linux". I am sure that
> there is no difference between "linux2.4.18/include/linux" and "/usr/include/linux"
>
> I build this driver like this:
>
> #gcc -c usb.c
> #insmod -f usb.o //due to version dismatch, i should use -f
>
> then plug a usb device.

That is _not_ the proper way to build a kernel module. Please read the
Linux Device Drivers for examples of how to do this the correct way
(it's availble online for free.)

> Could you help me test this program? Do you have an usb device? You can write a program
> like this, and test if it can report the right vid & pid.
> I downloaded a new kernel 2.6.5, after i started with the new kernel, lots of modules
> can not be loaded, so i changed back to 2.4.18, then I found my X-windows can not
> start. Did this error have something to do with this unstablity?

Did you read the release notes about how to move to the 2.6 kernel? I
recommend using that one for development, as the USB interface is nicer,
and faster, and the build process is _vastly_ simpler.

Also, this belongs on the linux-usb-devel mailing list, not here.

greg k-h