IPMI hangup in 2.6.6-rc3

From: Holger Kiehl
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 02:07:10 EST

Hallo

When compiling in IPMI (not as modules) my system hangs just after
it prints out detection of IPMI. 2.6.5 did work fine. Compiling
it as a module and inserting it with modprobe causes modprobe
to hang in D state, there is nothing unusual in /var/log/messages:

May 4 08:46:34 apollo kernel: ipmi message handler version v31
May 4 08:46:34 apollo kernel: IPMI System Interface driver version v31, KCS version v31, SMIC version v31, BT version v31
May 4 08:46:34 apollo kernel: ipmi_si: Found SMBIOS-specified state machine at I/O address 0xca2
May 4 08:54:14 apollo kernel: ipmi device interface version v31

lsmod shows all modules:

[root@apollo log]# lsmod
Module Size Used by
ipmi_devintf 5892 0
ipmi_si 28490 1
ipmi_msghandler 49764 2 ipmi_devintf,ipmi_si
sunrpc 126152 1
button 5144 0
battery 7692 0
ac 3852 0

However when calling ipmitool it just hangs forever at the following
place:

open("/dev/ipmi0", O_RDWR) = 3
ioctl(3, 0x80046910, 0xbfffeb5c) = 0
time(NULL) = 1083653893
brk(0) = 0x806c000
brk(0x808d000) = 0x808d000
brk(0) = 0x808d000
ioctl(3, 0x8014690d, 0xbfffea40) = 0
select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, NULL

The system is a dual Xeon with HT enabled and 2GB memory (highmem 4GB
enabled), board is Intel SE7501HG2. CONFIG_PREEMPT is disabled.

Please CC me since I am not on the list.

Thanks,
Holger