Re: strange delays on console logouts (tty != 1)

From: Russell King
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 05:18:32 EST

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 10:37:21AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 09:17:51AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > > If so, how is tty_hangup() getting involved?
> >
> > The only way it could be invoked is via SAK, which obviously isn't
> > happening here.
> >
> > However, login _does_ call sys_vhangup() which in turn calls tty_vhangup()
> > so I suspect that the statement "tty hangup is scheduled for work_queue"
> > is based on the _assumption_ that sys_vhangup() calls tty_hangup()
> > rather than the function it actually does.
>
> Ok, the VT_OPENQRY crap is a debian modification to agetty. As far as
> I can see, there is no code in agetty which calls sys_vhangup().

And a further follow-up...

Looking in the debian bug system reveals these two bugs:

* #216658: getty: opens tty without checking if something else is there,
killing keyboard input
* #226443: util-linux: [getty] Logout is really long with kernel 2.6

The first one is of particular note, because it is the cause of the GROSS
hack in agetty, which according to the comments is also in gdm.

I wonder really if the problem was elsewhere, and if Debian wanted to
take care of this problem, why they didn't just take the serial line
locking solution (really: s/serial line/tty/) and apply it to
agetty / gdm.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/