Re: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 09:01:00 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Nick Piggin wrote:

Rik van Riel wrote:

> The basic idea of use-once isn't bad (search for LIRS and
> ARC page replacement), however the Linux implementation
> doesn't have any of the checks and balances that the
> researched replacement algorithms have...

No, use once logic is good in theory I think. Unfortunately
our implementation is quite fragile IMO (although it seems
to have been "good enough").

Hey, that's what I said ;))))

Yes. I just thought you might have misunderstood me to
think use once is no good at all.

This is what I'm currently doing (on top of a couple of other
patches, but you get the idea). I should be able to transform
it into a proper use-once logic if I pick up Nikita's inactive
list second chance bit.

Ummm nope, there just isn't enough info to keep things
as balanced as ARC/LIRS/CAR(T) can do. No good way to
auto-tune the sizes of the active and inactive lists.

I think perhaps it might be possible. I don't want to
discourage you from looking into more interesting replacement
schemes though. I don't doubt that our basic replacement
can often be suboptimal ;)