Re: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 06:35:35 EST

On Friday 30 April 2004 12:33, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > Multimedia content (jpegs etc) is typically cached in
> > filesystem, so Mozilla polluted pagecache with it when
> > it saved JPEGs to the cache *and* then it keeps 'em in RAM
> > too, which doubles RAM usage.
>
> well if mozilla just mmap's the jpegs there is no double caching .....

I may be wrong but Mozilla keeps unpacked bitmap in malloc() space.
The point is, $BloatyApp will keep bloating up while you
are working upon improving kernel. I guess it's very clear which
process is easier. You cannot win that race.

This is OpenOffice on idle 128Mb RAM, 1000MHz Duron machine with KDE,
Mozilla and KMail running:

# time swriter;time swriter

real 0m33.906s
user 0m10.163s
sys 0m0.705s

real 0m24.025s
user 0m10.069s
sys 0m0.546s

I closed windows as soon as it appeared.

Freshly started swriter in top:
PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME CPU COMMAND
2081 root 15 0 93980 41M 80300 S 1,3 34,0 0:09 0 soffice.bin

93 megs. 10 seconds of 1GHz CPU time taken...
--
vda