Need development info

From: machine
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 01:10:35 EST

My name is Tom and I am new to the open source world. I was a PC and AS400
programmer for many years and have turned my focus entirely toward linux as I
am disabled now with plenty of free time. I can't find any highly technical
manuals for the latest linux kernels explaining their functioning. Maybe
such a thing is not compiled and must be gotten from decentralized sources.
Could someone tell me a book or something, especially for the 4Mpg kernel. I
want to know pretty much how it works from a programmers perspective and
module interface. I'd like to write a module for the ICH5 disk controller
in native mode that doesn't rely on a qnx micro kernel file system like the
Window's version does. I would really appreciate the help.
Tom