Re: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 18:07:47 EST

Paul Jackson wrote:

In other words, I wouldn't agree with your take that it's a matter of
not trusting the application, better to GUESS.

Okay.

Rather I would say that
there is a preference, and a good one at that, to not use an excessive
number of knobs as a cop-out to avoid working hard to get the widest
practical range of cases to behave reasonably, without intervention, and
a preference to keep what knobs that are there short, sweet and
minimally interacting.

Agreed. And this is why I suggested not adding another knob but rather going with the existing nice value.

Mind you, this shouldn't necessarily be done without some kind of experimentation. Put two knobs in the kernel and try varying them to each other to see what sorts of jobs, if any, would benefit in a disparity between cpu-nice and io-nice. If there IS a significant difference, then add the extra knob. If there isn't, then don't.

Another possibility would be to have one knob that controls cpu-nice, and another knob that controls io-nice minus cpu-nice, so if you REALLY want to make them different, you can, but typically, they are set to be the same.