Re: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 17:15:14 EST

Paul Jackson wrote:
Timothy wrote:

Perhaps nice level could influence how much a process is allowed to affect page cache.

I'm from the school that says 'nice' applies to scheduling priority,
not memory usage.

I'd expect a different knob, a per-task inherited value as is 'nice',
to control memory usage.

Linux kernel developers seem to be of the mind that you cannot trust what applications tell you about themselves, so it's better to use heuristics to GUESS how to schedule something, rather than to add YET ANOTHER property to it.

Nick, Con, Ingo, and others have done an impressive job of taking the guess/heuristic approach to scheduling. I don't see why that can't be taken further.

Also, there seems to be strong resistance to adding a property to something which is not easily accessible through existing UNIX tools. "nice" and "renice" commands have been around forever. Adding another control requires new commands, new libc functions, changes to "top", etc.

Besides, when would you want to have a sched-nice of -20 and an io-nice of 20, or a sched-nice of 20 and an io-nice of -20? Things like that would make no sense.