Re: locking in psmouse

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 07:42:09 EST

Hi Pavel,

On Thursday 29 April 2004 04:58 am, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > psmouse-base.c does not have any locking. For example psmouse_command
> > > could race with data coming from the mouse, resulting in problem. This
> > > should fix it.
> >
> > Although I am not arguing that locking might be needed in psmouse module I
> > am somewhat confused how it will help in case of data stream coming from the
> > mouse... If mouse sent a byte before the kernel issue a command then it will
> > be delivered by KBC controller and will be processed by the interrupt handler,
> > probably messing up detection process. That's why as soon as we decide that
> > the device behind PS/2 port is some kind of mouse we disable the stream mode.
>
> Does that mean that mouse can not talk while we are sending commands
> to it? That would help a bit.

Yes, check psmouse_probe. As soon as PSMOUSE_CMD_RESET_DIS acknowledged mouse
should cease sending motion data. That still leaves possibility of screwing up
detection if you are moving mouse while psmouse doing PSMOUSE_CMD_GETID.
But I don't think we can do much about it as we'd like to know that the device
is some kind of a mouse before we start messing with it.

> Anyway, locking still seems to be needed:
>
> while (psmouse->cmdcnt && timeout--) {
>
> if (psmouse->cmdcnt == 1 && command == PSMOUSE_CMD_RESET_BAT &&
> timeout > 100000) /* do not run in a endless loop */
> timeout = 100000; /* 1 sec */
>
> if (psmouse->cmdcnt == 1 && command == PSMOUSE_CMD_GETID &&
> psmouse->cmdbuf[1] != 0xab && psmouse->cmdbuf[1] != 0xac) {
> psmouse->cmdcnt = 0;
> break;
> }
>
> spin_unlock_irq(&psmouse_lock);
> udelay(1);
> spin_lock_irq(&psmouse_lock);
> }
>
> racing with
>
> if (psmouse->cmdcnt) {
> psmouse->cmdbuf[--psmouse->cmdcnt] = data;
> goto out;
> }
>
> now... if each runs on different CPU, it can be possible that
> psmouse->cmdcnt is seen as 1 but data are not yet in
> psmouse->cmdbuf... Locking seems neccessary here.

I see.. but this particular case can be resolved but rearranging the code to
write command response first and then decrementing the counter... and putting
a barrier? Or just make cmdcnt atomic... spin_lock_irq feels heavier than
absolutely necessary.

--
Dmitry