Re: pdflush eating a lot of CPU on heavy NFS I/O

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 00:37:04 EST

Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now, that redirtying of the inode _should_ have moved the inode off the
> s_io list and onto the s_dirty list. But for some reason it looks like it
> didn't, so we get stuck in a loop. I need to think about it a bit more.

OK, it looks like nfs_writepages() might have been encountered the
congested flag and it baled out without doing anything - the inode is still
on the temporary s_io list, and no pages were redirtied, hence the inode
wasn't redirtied, hence it remains stuck on the s_io list. The patch I
sent will fix that up.