Re: [sata] new driver -- AHCI

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 22:19:59 EST

Andre Tomt wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:

So kudos to the AHCI folks (mainly at Intel), for making a decent, open controller. I always prefer to work on drivers for decent hardware, whose hardware specification is open and public.

Quick questions:

Is the Intel 6300ESB ("Hence Rapids") AHCI based? So far this looks like ICH6 too me, but I may be mistaken.

The only Hance Rapids stuff I've seen was ICH5-R, but maybe it's carried forward to the ICH6-R as well.

I don't know, I mainly know the underlying chipsets not the boards they wind up being shipped on...

What about the Marvell 88SX5040 PCI-X SATA Controller?

Coming RSN. That's my next priority, but I'm not as thrilled because Marvell isn't an open design like AHCI. I'm much more happy to promote AHCI's sane, open design.

Jeff