Re: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 19:47:25 EST

> I don't know. What if you have some huge application that only
> runs once per day for 10 minutes? Do you want it to be consuming
> 100MB of your memory for the other 23 hours and 50 minutes for
> no good reason?

I keep soffice open all the time. The box in question has 512mb of ram.
This is one app, even though I use it infrequently, would prefer that it
never be swapped out. Mainly when I want to use it, I *WANT* it now (ie not
waiting for it to come back from swap)

This is just my oppinion. I personally feel that cache should use available
memory, not already used memory (swapping apps out for more cache).