Re: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 19:44:20 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Brett E. wrote:

exits, freeing up the malloc'ed memory. This brings free memory up by 400 megs and brings the cache down to close to 0, of course the cache

Yeah, I have something similar (attached). Run it like

fillmem <number-of-megabytes>

grows right afterwards. It would be nice to cap the cache datastructures in the kernel but I've been posting about this since September to no avail so my expectations are pretty low.

This is a frequent request... although I disagree with a hard cap on the cache, I think the request (and similar ones) should hopefully indicate to the VM gurus that the kernel likes cache better than anon VMAs that must be swapped out.

For 2.6.6-rc2-mm2:
http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/vm-rollup.patch.gz

/proc/sys/vm/mapped_page_cost - indicate which *you* like better ;)