Re: pdflush eating a lot of CPU on heavy NFS I/O

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 15:22:19 EST

Brent Cook <busterbcook@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > Brent Cook <busterbcook@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Running any kernel from the 2.6.6-rc* series (and a few previous
> > > -mm*'s),
> >
> > It's a shame this wasn't reported earlier.
>
> Since it was a pretty big deal on my system, I just assumed it was for
> other people's too, and that someone else would have reported it by
> now. I only got concerned when it persisted between rc's.

I think three people have reported it now.

> > > the pdflush process starts using near 100% CPU indefinitely after
> > > a few minutes of initial NFS traffic, as far as I can tell.
> >
> > Please confirm that the problem is observed on the NFS client and not the
> > NFS server? I'll assume the client.
>
> Yes, both affected machines had the issue when connecting as a client to a
> 2.4.25-based NFS server.
>
> > What other filesystems are in use on the client?
>
> One uses Reiser on /, the other uses ext3 on /. Here is the mount table
> for one machine:

Both machines are exhibiting the problem?

> About 10 minutes into the process, pdflush starts taking over:
>
> PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME CPU COMMAND
> 7 root 25 0 0 0 0 RW 34.4 0.0 3:05 0 pdflush
> 17856 busterb 25 0 69400 65M 5140 R 34.4 26.1 0:31 0 cc1plus
> 19466 busterb 25 0 43732 39M 5140 R 26.3 15.5 0:03 0 cc1plus
> The network light will flash continually on each machine once pdflush
> gets into this state, which makes me think NFS. Each machine has
> 512-256 MB of ram and a single CPU.

ok.. I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to get this to happen. No
joy. Can't make it happen with your .config either. I'll set up a 2.4.25
server later on.

What version of gcc are you using?

Could you please capture the contents of /proc/meminfo and /proc/vmstats
when it's happening?

Thanks.